Friday, October 19, 2012

Fiction Friday - The Ideas

I have written before about how I get my ideas for what I write. Most of which come from some part of my own life, or the stories of friends, and then are weaved together until the original strings are no longer visible. 

Sometimes though I see something in the open world, the world apart from me, and I find my mind wondering what the story is behind the image. 

This morning, while having coffee with friends we saw a mom with her two young girls walk into Starbucks carrying their iguana. It was in a cage but still it was an odd sight. I wondered why were they taking the iguana with them to Starbucks. What conversation must have happened between the mother and the girls to convince her that they should bring their pet along. I thought about the possible name for the iguana and what he (or she) ate. Does Starbucks have iguana food on a secret menu? 

Yesterday, I was driving down the street and I saw a man carrying a sledgehammer. Now I assumed that he was going to do some kind of demolition on a house nearby but still I had questions. Was it his house? Is he a contractor? What if he accidentally knocked down the wrong wall? Could you imagine the conversation. 
He takes his cell phone out of his pocket and scrolls through the numbers for the homeowner's name. He is anxious making the call, his hands clammy. He feels a momentary sense of relief when the phone goes to voicemail. But then the beep happens and he has to speak. 
"Uhh... Mr. Jaxson. This is Teddy. I'm over at your house and well...." 
Just as he is about to explain Michael Jaxson drives up and finds Teddy standing out front. 
 What happens next? You tell me.

 

2 comments:

  1. fiction isn't my strong point, but I LOVE how the iguana made the trip into Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiction is more truth than we often realize. Like an iguana at Starbucks. Couldn't have imagined that of I tried.

      Delete