Monday, January 30, 2012

Humility Begins In Love

When I look a the political process before us I wonder. Why is everyone so adamantly right about absolutely everything? How can there be no room for discourse any longer?

When I hear parents at school pick up or sports practices declaring the right way to handle any given situation I wonder. Why do we assume parenting is one size fits all? Why do we think we have the answers for another family and not see the work we need to do in our own parenting?

When I see friends hurting one another because they cannot see the other point of view I wonder. Why do we feel an intense need to defend ourselves instead of evaluating our actions? Why do we expect grace when we do not show grace to others?

When I read myself typing words of pronouncement I wonder. Do I actually think I know the answers?

The truth is I don't know the answers.

But I think that might be the key. Because in finally acknowledging that I don't know everything, I am able to be let go.

I am able to let go of being right.

I am able to let go of being perfect.

I am able to see who I really am, flawed and wonderfully made at the same time.

I am able to experience God's true love for me in that while I was yet a sinner, Christ died for me. I wonder what life would be like if we Christians really understood that God loves us just as we are. If Christians could feel safe and secure in God's love for them. For when I am able to truly experience God's love, I find myself in the right spot.

A place where I can humbly listen to someone else. A place where I can take correction. A place where I can extend grace to those around me. A place where I understand that God is working in each of our lives but that the lessons we are to learn may be different. The choices He asks us to make may be different. A place where I can understand the greys of His hand at work.

But this all comes out of my true belief that God loves me. He loves me just as I am. And because He loves me, I am safe. Not from the hardships of life, but from the need to be right. I am safe to listen and learn. I am safe to try new things and make choices that seem strange. I am safe to seek him just as I am.

I am safe enough to not need to be the best, the most righteous, the most right.

I am safe enough to be humble and secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment