Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Greater Peace

So yesterday I posted the notes from a little talk I did at our church moms group. And while I think that having a plan and vision is key to finding peace in the day to day of life as a mom, I did not say what really brings me peace. What provides me a peace that really does surpass all understanding, that as one of my Facebook friends said really freaks her out about my relaxed nature. Because the moms group at our church is an outreach. We intentionally do not bring up God a lot, because we really want people to feel comfortable just being in the building. We know that motherhood, especially those early years is so overwhelming and those moms just need someone to come alongside them on their journey. Do we hope that these moms keep coming? Yes. Do we hope that they will see something different in our lives that they want in theirs? Yes. Do we really want to plug each of these women into a small group at Women's Bible Study each week? Absolutely. But mostly do we want to love one another, care for one another and build a community where people can address the bigger questions that inevitably come up when we are in the trenches of parenting? Yes. So we don't put God at the top of the agenda. But here is what I would have said about peace if I was talking to a group of believers.

Peace comes from God.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Phillipians 4:6-7


That is it, the reason I am for the most part pretty relaxed, willing to roll with the punches. I trust God is God. I trust that He has a plan, a plan that is good. I trust that His will, His plan, will prevail. There are no mistakes in God's plans. Uncomfortable moments, wretched heartbreak, deep pain are all a part of God's plan. My life, my kids' lives, are all in God's care. I don't have to worry because He is on duty 24/7.

I was working on my Bible Study homework today and today's lesson was on this exact topic. The author quoted George Muller who wrote, "The beginning of anxiety is the end of faith. The beginning of true faith is the end of anxiety." So it seems to me that peace should be the norm. And when we are not at peace, we have to start asking ourselves do we trust God? Do we believe He is in control?

I think that there is a part of us that will always been a little on edge as long as we are walking this earth. Too many of us have been hurt by loved ones or damaged by tragedy. We live in a world that is not our true home for our home is with our Father in heaven. That is where we will ultimately be at peace. But in this life, I think we can have a peace that surpasses all understanding, a peace that sustains us, calms us, and points to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment