Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Are We Having Fun Yet?

I was watching Julia Roberts on Oprah the other day. They were talking about her new movie but also about Julia's kids and family life. Julia mentioned a couple of times how much fun they have as a family. She talked in such loving praise of her husband that you got the sense that she is still totally, completely in love with her man. She loves to sew and made her husband a pair of simple pants along with dresses for her daughter. She sounds like the mom and wife we wall want to be. There was no hints at crankiness, irritability or sleep deprivation.

I love Julia Roberts and was at first really enjoying the interview with Oprah. But then I started to feel guilty. I thought about our day and realized I was not having fun. My day was full of spilled milk (literally), tantrums, rainy grey weather, and a husband who was working late and would not be home until well after the kids were in bed. Now I know that I can rise above my circumstances, that I can be content no matter what life has for me as Paul writes in Philippians 4:12.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

And yet, I am not having fun all time. I am pretty content. I know intellectually and even emotionally that my life is good, that I am really blessed, especially comparatively. But does that mean I am having fun with my kids on a daily basis? Definitely not. I am not the fun mom. I have a friend who makes up the silliest, most fun games for her daughters and their friends when they come over for play dates. They all have so much fun together. When my kids have play dates I might make cookies, but after that I am going to use the distraction of a friend to get some important work (kitchen counters or blog surfing?) done. I am not fun. I don't have an active imagination. I am also incredibly selfish and just want to sit with my coffee and book while the kids play together or alone. Being able to entertain yourself is a good life skill right?

So this is what I need to work on this summer, our Phinneas and Ferb Summer Vacation according to Middle Man. Thankfully he provided the inspiration, now I just have to figure out how to make that work. All while having fun.

And not getting agitated by the paint that might spill.

And the togetherness quotient that might be a bit much for introverted me.

And spending time outside, in the sun, where it is hot and might involve getting dirty.

See I told you I'm no fun.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what you might share if you had 45 minutes with Oprah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone my friend. I am not the fun Mom either (or the fun parent). I often wake up with good intentions of being more engaged and it is often out the window by 9 AM. Maybe we can encourage each other this summer to be more fun! Paint, playdough, dirt and sand, oh my.

    ReplyDelete