Friday, July 23, 2010

Rules for Prayer

I started reading another of the many books on prayer that have been collecting dust on my desk. It is "The Prayer of the Lord" by R.C. Sproul. Sproul is a favorite of the pastors at our church and I really like his writing style and more importantly what he has to write as well. I had to share the following quote with you because it is that good.
People come to me and ask: "What are the rules for prayer? How should we approach God in prayer? What's the right way to pray?" I tell those who ask these kinds of questions that there are really only two rules you have to keep in mind when you're in prayer, two things that should drive and govern and control your prayer life with the Almighty. You should remember who is being addressed and who is doing the speaking. That is, the first thing you are to remember in prayer is who it is you're talking to, because nothing will condition your prayer life more deeply than remembering that you're in conversation with God, the sovereign Creator and Ruler of the universe. Second, you are to remember who you are. You are not God. You are a a creature. So prayer is not a conversation between peers; it is not a fireside chat among equals. This is the creature speaking to the sovereign Creator."

This is by far the most important lesson I have been learning this last year as I have studied both prayer and been reading my way through the Bible, that God is God. I can try to deny it. I can try to diminish who He is by putting Him in my God box. I can try to control God with my eloquent prayers and "righteous" living. I, I, I.

God is God. That is all. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment